If you are planning to get away this month there is so much to do in this region of the Adirondack State Park. Memorial Day kicked off the summer vacation season…. every business is ready and anticipating your arrival.
If you love the Adirondack Mountains means you love the outdoors. Here is what available for your agenda: Hiking, Mt Biking, Fishing, Canoeing, Kayaking, White Water Rafting, Sun Bathing or Swimming on any lake beach, Water Skiing or Tubing, Jet Skiing, Horseback Riding, Golf, Horseback Riding, Boating or take a Seaplane ride to take it ALL in.
If you want to learn about the history of the Adk State Park go to Adirondack Museum in Blue Mt Lake or Tupper Lake to learn about the regions wildlife at the Wild Center both great for kids and adults alike. Blue Mt Lake also has the Cultural Center for the artsy types and Raquette Lake has one of the Great Camps built by W W Durant (called Sagamore) and a Dinner Cruise Boat going by the same name. Here are a few of the big events upcoming:
- June 4th – 12th: The Americade in Lake George hosts one of the biggest biker events in the country. Tens of thousands of motorcyclists descend upon this well known tourist area each year. Besides having access to all the outdoor adventures, Lake George has shops, clubs, restaurants and some great night life overlooking one largest and most beautiful lakes in the Adirondacks. If you come to this event be ready to party!
- June 9th -13th: Want a little something more subdued? Come to the 9th Annual Birding Festival in Indian Lake and Blue Mt Lake. Peace, serenity and solitude is on the agenda as you literally get a birds eye view of indigenous wildlife. Your binoculars will not only yield a colorful array of bird species but my even pick up a rare siting of a cotton tail, coyote, coy dog, black bear or moose at a distance.
- June 11th: Ready for a ride and something more vigorous? Sign up for the Black Fly Challenge- a 40 mile mountain bike event that starts in Indian Lake, continues thru the Moose River Plains and ends in Inlet. Contact the local chambers in Indian Lake and Inlet for all the event details and prizes.
- June 17th – 19th: Fathers Day Weekend. Get Dad out of the office and into nature. Is he the outdoorsy, adventurous type? Book a room in a rustic cabin, cottage or lakefront resort and spend some quality time with the whole family. Blue Mt Lake is the central hub of all of this activity where you will find some wonderful lodging. A few to mention- some historic seasonal full service resorts like The Hedges & Hemlock Hall or more moderate, cozy accommodations like Curry’s Cabins or Blue Mountain Rest who was featured in Time Out Magazine, NY. All dressed in Adirondack decor and a great place to give dad a relaxing respite from the everyday.
- June 23rd – Sept 5th: Summer vacation! Don’t spend a weekend come for the whole week. The Adirondack State Park is over 6 million acres, one of if not the biggest state parks in the country. Come, have tons of fun and don’t forget to bring the family.